Roku is an affordable digital media player used to jailbreak and stream hundreds of tv shows, movies, and more. It is available in the form of a set-top box or sticks and thus is portable.
Anyone can stream tons of channels and contents by connecting it to the TV and internet. Despite having so many streaming options, many users question how to jailbreak the Roku stick to use it out of the box.
If you are looking for tricks to unlock the limitations, this article is for you.
What is Jailbreaking?
Jailbreaking is the term referred to as bypassing the limitations given by the device manufacturer. By altering the device permissions, the user can easily customize the device as per their need.
With the jailbroken device, the user can easily install any unauthorized third-party software on it. Jailbreaking is often associated with iOS and Firestick as it limits its users with the installation of unauthorized apps and games.
Can you jailbreak a Roku?
The short answer to the question is NO. Unlike Android and iOS, Jailbreaking a Roku streaming device is not easy as it runs standalone Roku OS, where we cant modify the features and functionality.
In technical terms, We cant jailbreak the Roku device due to the limitations given by its manufacturer. Many sites claim that they can jailbreak Roku on Smart TV, but it isn’t possible at all. On the other side, lots of Roku users search for ways to jailbreak the Roku device to stream contents just beyond what it offers.
They often misunderstand jailbreaking and believe it would open the new doors, but it is not Roku’s case. Even the users can access its functionalities without jailbreaking.
How to jailbreak Roku?
Unlike other new devices, Roku doesn’t support jailbreaking as the Roku OS based on C++. Because of which, you cannot install any third-party apps on the Roku like other platforms. So if you want to play the content or FoxSports com on Roku, there is only one way: nothing but Kodi.
Kodi is an open-source app and media player used to stream media content on Roku. It is highly customizable and, by default, supports lots of third-party add-ons.
So the user can install Kodi add-ons to watch TV shows, movies, and more. Roku doesn’t support installing apps written in native C or C++, and Kodi is one among the list.
Since Roku doesn’t support jailbreaking, the only way possible to use Kodi on Roku is screen mirroring. To do so, you need an Android phone or Windows PC to cast Kodi contents to a Roku device.
Jailbreak Roku by Kodi App
Roku device support screen mirroring using screen protocol from Android phone and Windows PC. There are two different ways available with which Kodi can be screen mirrored to Roku.
1st Method: Stream Kodi on Roku Stick Using Android
To mirror Kodi on Roku, you should enable screen mirroring on the Roku device as follows.
- On your Roku device, click on the Home button to use the main menu.
- Click on Settings to choose the System option.
- Select the Screen Mirroring option.
- Click on Allow/Prompt/Always Allow option to enable it.
- Make sure the Android and Roku device connected to the same WiFi network.
If you already use the Kodi app on your phone, skip steps 1 to 4.
- To enable screen mirroring on Android, click on the Google Play Store on Android phone.
- Use the search bar to type in as Kodi and choose Kodi from the search result.
- On the app information screen of Kodi, click on the Install button to download it on your Android device.
- Then click on the Accept Option to grant access to the Kodi app to use the device and media files. With this, the download will begin.
- When the download gets completed, click on the Open button to open it.
- To enable screen mirroring, you should click on Android Settings > click on device> choose Display option (Settings may vary with Android versions).
- Under the Display section, you should scroll down to click on Cast to see the compatible Roku devices to cast. With this, your Android phone’s screen mirrored on the Roku connected device.
- Now open Kodi on your Android device to start streaming a TV show or movie.
- When you launch the player, the Kodi app on the Android screen mirrored to the Roku device.
2nd Method: Stream Kodi on Roku Stick Using Windows PC
If you have a Windows PC, you can install Kodi to cast contents to the Roku device. If you have already installed Kodi on your device, skip steps 1 to 10.
- Use any internet browser like chrome on your PC to go to https://kodi.tv/download.
- Click on the Download bar at the top-right to start with the Kodi downloading process.
- On the next screen, choose your platform as Windows.
- Next, choose Kodi installer like Windows Store/Installer (32 Bit)/Installer(64 Bit).
- The download process will start instantly. After completion, go to the download location to find the kodi.exe file. Double click on it to start its installation.
- Click on the Next button when Kodi prompts you on its Welcome screen.
- On the next screen, click on the I Agree option to continue with Kodi’s installation on Roku.
- Click Next, after choosing the components to continue further.
- Now, choose a file directory to install Kodi on your Windows PC. Then click on the Next button.
- Click on the Finish button to run Kodi on PC Windows.
- To set up screen mirroring, go to the Control Center of your PC.
- Choose the Project option from the list of options.
- Choose to add a wireless display/PC Screen to select the Display connected to the Roku device.
- To stream Kodi on the Roku device, Click on start mirroring your screen option.
Although Roku doesn’t support the jailbreak process, Kodi can be used to access the third-party apps on Roku. With screen mirroring, Kodi contents cast on the Roku device easily. Also if you like to stream content without jailbreak then IPTV on Roku is the great option. The above guide applicable to all Roku devices, including Roku Streaming Stick, Roku Express, Roku Ultra, etc.